PATCH: catch some more common regexps and if/unless expressions

Doug Kearns djkea2 at mugca.its.monash.edu.au
Thu Sep 18 14:30:26 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 10:26:42AM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Thursday, September 18, 2003, 9:49:36 AM, Doug wrote:
>
> > Regexps after not and then are now matched as are if/unless expressions
> > after '=' and '('.
>
> > This _really_ needs to be generalised...
>
> Those vim regexen are pretty filthy.

Indeed, but I don't really think the lack of 'very magic' is the
problem. :-)

> Given any thought to using the \v modifier?

<snip>

I've never really found it very useful. It makes the simple cases a
little 'neater' but not really any easier to read.

\v$%(deferr|defout|stderr|stdin|stdout)>

$\%(deferr\|defout\|stderr\|stdin\|stdout\)\>

As for the more convoluted cases, is this:

really any easier to read than this: