'Special' method highlighting - a list

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Fri Aug 22 22:50:12 EDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, 8:46:06 PM, Doug wrote:

> [.......]

>> "alias_method" I put in because "alias" is highlighted.  Then again,
>> that goes for "undef_method" as well.  I am unsure about that one.  I
>> always just use "alias" anyway.

> A quick grep of my ruby directory finds about 2500 uses of alias and
> only about 100 of alias_method. 20 for undef and about 10 for
> undef_method. As such I'd leave out undef_method and alias_method, I
> think they may be the top of the 'slippery slope'.

Yeah, good thinking.  I believe 'alias' and 'undef' _are_ keywords
anyway, and all I know about the XXX_method ones is that they're ugly

> [...]

>> Anyway, discussion is welcomed on these items, especially the "attr"
>> family and "alias_method", which can be argued either way.  The others
>> are clear cut in my mind.

> Some others might include:

>   autoload
>   exit|abort -> at_exit(?)
>   eval       -> {module,instance,class}_eval(?)
>   caller(?)
I think all of these, on the left and the right, should be
highlighted.  What do you reckon?  I don't know why I overlooked then
last time.  Actually, I do.  I had just spent about 2 hours on the
phone pair-debugging a Java monstrosity and I wanted to go to bed :)