ChangeLog and patches

Doug Kearns djkea2 at mugca.its.monash.edu.au
Mon Aug 18 23:27:13 EDT 2003

<snip>

This may be of some interest to you: http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl/

> > I also think it's probably a good idea to send patches to the list, so
> > that people can take note of what's happening and comment on the merit
> > or lack thereof of the changes occurring, without having to trawl
> > through the CVS logs.
>
> > How about just using a subject prefix of 'PATCH: '.
>
> All that is fine by me, but I wonder if it's better to have it work
> the other way, i.e. automatically: an automatic email sent to the list
> whenever a commit occurs.

We can do that if you prefer.

> However, since that requires effort and may be difficult, I welcome
> the practice of manual PATCH: emails.  It's nice to know what's
> happening.

I like having the opportunity to ramble on a little bit more in the
PATCH emails. If they're controversial or need further discussion I
won't actually commit them until there is some consensus, so they won't
always correspond to CVS commits anyway.

This 'model' is actually what is used on the zsh project and seems to
work quite well.