ChangeLog and patches

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at
Mon Aug 18 21:58:43 EDT 2003

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, 9:53:47 PM, Doug wrote:

> I've just added a ChangeLog file to CVS, does anyone have any objections
> to maintaining this?

No, it will be a pleasure :)

> See:

Thanks for the link.  I've always wondered how changelogs were
maintained.  Now I know: manually.  The fact that in the Ruby source,
log messages and ChangeLog entries are usually identical had me

> I also think it's probably a good idea to send patches to the list, so
> that people can take note of what's happening and comment on the merit
> or lack thereof of the changes occurring, without having to trawl
> through the CVS logs.

> How about just using a subject prefix of 'PATCH: '.

All that is fine by me, but I wonder if it's better to have it work
the other way, i.e. automatically: an automatic email sent to the list
whenever a commit occurs.

However, since that requires effort and may be difficult, I welcome
the practice of manual PATCH: emails.  It's nice to know what's