CVS access issues

Tim Hammerquist tim+vim-ruby at
Wed Aug 13 02:43:32 EDT 2003

Hey all,

I noticed that all our source files in CVS have the URL
<>.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I have
<> bookmarked in my browser.

IAC, I attempted to fix the file itself via CVS and did fine,
logging in via SSH, fetching the module, and editing the file.
However, upon commiting the server informed me:

    cvs [server aborted]: "commit" requires write access to the repository

I checked the vim-ruby admin pages and I have CVS commit
permissions.  I am, however, very new to CVS (1 day, in fact), so
it's quite possibly user error.

If anyone has any information on this, please let me know.

Tim Hammerquist

(session overview follows)

% export CVSROOT=":ext:saiyix at"
% cvs co vim-ruby
cvs server: Updating vim-ruby
U vim-ruby/README
U vim-ruby/build.rb
U vim-ruby/install.rb
cvs server: Updating vim-ruby/compiler
U vim-ruby/compiler/ruby.vim
cvs server: Updating vim-ruby/ftplugin
U vim-ruby/ftplugin/ruby.vim
cvs server: Updating vim-ruby/indent
U vim-ruby/indent/ruby.vim
cvs server: Updating vim-ruby/syntax
U vim-ruby/syntax/ruby.vim
% ls
% cvs commit -m "..." vim-ruby/compiler/ruby.vim
cvs [server aborted]: "commit" requires write access to the repository

Usenet is a lousy way to get quick service.
It's even worse if you want quick and *correct* answers.
    -- David Cassell in comp.lang.perl.misc