[holy ruby programmers batman!] Replacement for MacClipboard

Markus Prinz markus.prinz at qsig.org
Tue Jan 8 15:25:35 EST 2008

On 08.01.2008, at 20:50, Giles Bowkett wrote:

> Dude, that's awesome. With Linux support flaky, though, maybe the best
> thing is to put some kind of warning on it? Are you saying that if you
> use the Linux support it kills your xterm? That sounds like a pretty
> bad side effect.

Well, as I said, I couldn't test it as I don't have a Linux with X
running, but Harkins tested it twice, and it killed his xterm both
times (or, to be more exact, he said it simply vanished).

> A co-worker says he was able to script the Linux clipboard, he might
> have something. It also looks as if there's something called xclip:
>
> http://dmy999.com/article/19/finally-linux-clipboard-integration

Cool, I'll check that out.

> This is kind of a pain in the butt, but we could in theory have a more
> detailed set of checks going on in the Linux section. The Platform gem
> exposes a lot of detail pretty nicely, so you may (I'm not sure) be
> able to determine if GNOME, KDE, or X is active on the user's system.
> It seems like that's the best way to do it, although honestly, I'm not
> a Linux guy, so I couldn't say for sure.

Yeah, I was thinking something along the same lines. Looks like I've
got to set up a Linux VM after all :)

regards, Markus