[holy ruby programmers batman!] Replacement for MacClipboard

Giles Bowkett gilesb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:05:56 EST 2008

> > The first problem is that unlike the other two OS, the X Server and
> > (apparently) GNOME and KDE all have their own Clipboard
> > implementation. I've decided to target X's clipboard (since that would
> > work anywhere) using the xsel tool[0]. Harkins on IRC was nice enough
> > to help me test the code (I don't have access to a Linux running an X
> > server right now), and as it turns out xsel likes to kill the xterm it
> > runs in.

This is kind of a pain in the butt, but we could in theory have a more
detailed set of checks going on in the Linux section. The Platform gem
exposes a lot of detail pretty nicely, so you may (I'm not sure) be
able to determine if GNOME, KDE, or X is active on the user's system.
It seems like that's the best way to do it, although honestly, I'm not
a Linux guy, so I couldn't say for sure.