[holy ruby programmers batman!] svn access / next release

Markus Prinz markus.prinz at qsig.org
Wed Jan 2 18:36:12 EST 2008

On 02.01.2008, at 20:34, Giles Bowkett wrote:
> 1) Does a nice stress-free approach exist? (Letting somebody else do
> it counts.)

There's git-svn, which allows you to clone (checkout) an existing
Subversion-Repository into git's format, and do an update and commit
to the Subversion-Repo from your git-Repo (while still having all of
git's goodness).

Usually it's not included with the git distribution (in package
managers that is), but on MacPorts it's only a "sudo port install git
+svn" away.

> 2) Why git over svn?

There are already a great many blogposts about this, so I'm just going
to link[0] to them, but personally I'm using it because:
.) It's distributed. That means there is no central server like in
Subversion, where everybody has to commit to (and update from)[1].
Instead, what Subversion would call a working copy is a complete clone
of the repository. This means you can commit (push in dvcs-lingo) your
changes against your local repo, and when your feature is done, you do
one huge push to commit everything to the official repo.
.) Branching. Branching allows you to create a (local) clone of trunk
(called master or master-branch in git-lingo), and do your work in
there. Once done, you merge your changes back into the master-branch.
This is especially useful if you develop a lot of things in parallel.
For example, I currently have (besides the master branch) a branch
called "config" where I developed the Utility Belt Configurator, and
one called "refactor", where I refactored the requires. Since the
branches are completely independent of each other, I could generate a
diff against master to get all the refactoring changes.
.) Merging. Git's merging algorithms are much, much better than
Subversions.

regards, Markus

[0]: This is no exhaustive list, but it should get you started:
http://speirs.org/2007/07/19/a-subversion-user-looks-at-git/
http://speirs.org/2007/07/23/a-subversion-user-looks-at-git-part-2/
http://mjtsai.com/blog/2007/07/15/subversion-to-git/
http://wincent.com/a/about/wincent/weblog/archives/2007/07/musings_on_subv.php
http://wincent.com/a/about/wincent/weblog/archives/2007/07/git_notes.php

[1]: There usually still is a central server, but it is no longer a
technical necessity, but rather a social convenience (Linus Torvalds
called it "a public watering hole")