[holy ruby programmers batman!] Stupid string tricks

Giles Bowkett gilesb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 13:54:53 EST 2007

> # notify me when my object is destroyed (on a Mac)
> ObjectSpace.define_finalizer(my_obj, proc { "Goodbye cruel world!" |
> 'growlnotify' })

Just to play devil's advocate, I think all of this stuff can actually
be achieved with string interpolation and system calls, but that's one
hell of a use case. I don't think anyone actually needs a garbage
collection Growl notifiction per se, but hooking Growl into Utility
Belt is a damn spiffy idea.

I don't actually know how to manage an open source project yet, so I
really don't have any particularly well-defined criteria for accepting
stuff, it's mostly just stuff I found useful or stuff I thought I'd
find useful. If/when I do the #equip method, it'll probably make sense
to accept nearly anything into the overall package and be a bit of a
tightass about defaults. That way the user could get emacs-y power
without emacs-y overkill. So probably both this and Tim's law-breaker
system would make it in a few versions from now, but neither one right