[holy ruby programmers batman!] Adding a configuration file to Utility Belt

Giles Bowkett gilesb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 13:41:52 EST 2007

In terms of the particular approach, a .utility_belt file, I'm not
into that way of doing it, but in terms of the actual feature, this is
something UB *needs* and I was kind of thinking about it on the plane
last night. (My e-mail access is spotty right now due to holiday
travel taking me to the back of beyond, where my family dwells.)
Anyway, I'm not sure how to do it but I want to be able to give the
user a few config options out the gate which are zero effort, like

UtilityBelt.equip(:defaults)
UtilityBelt.equip(:all)

And then take it a little further:

UtilityBelt.equip(:all, :except => ["the one I don't want"])
UtilityBelt.equip(:none, :except => ["the only one I want"])
UtilityBelt.equip(["this one", "that one", "the other one"])

I think this will be pretty straightforward to code, and reasonably
straightforward to spec as well. Basically it's just a way to give the
user control over which libs are required, without actually making
them do it by hand, and at the same time also include some shortcuts
for use cases, when the use case is obvious and the shortcut is easy
to do. We're really just talking about a method which provides an
interface to require.