[holy ruby programmers batman!] git/svn/patches?

Tim Connor timocratic at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 22:36:41 EST 2007

On Dec 15, 2007 7:14 PM, Giles Bowkett <gilesb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice one on these specs, Tim. Pretty hard core!

> Object.extend Pastie
Yeah, that was my thought.  My boss at work is a pre-Rails ruby head
and has got a hard-on for Modules.  I've definitely learned a bit
about how to cleanly organize things that way in the last couple
months there.

Of course, then I had naughty thoughts like this

class Past
  def ie
     puts "hello pastie"
> Past.ie
=> "hello pastie"

> That might actually be a cleaner way to do a feature I have to add.

Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking: it might help make that
functionality easier to manage.  It would also make the speccing
easier in general I bet.  It's almost a required change to be able to
do the specs for what happens when platform != :macosx at all cleanly,
for instance, since the irbrc style just defines it directly once on

> I'll have to check into that but it could be the way to do it.
> Anyway, those specs, that's very cool. I wouldn't have thought it was
> even possible.

Yeah, I'm new to rspec/mocking frameworks (just starting to play with
the first one on personal projects), so I don't know what ISN'T
possible yet. :D  Before getting into the frameworks I was doing some
manual mocking for a network library at work, though. I think DIY'ing
it gave me a better understanding that was useful once I made the
switch to mocha (this last week).  Sort of like learning ruby vs.