[TZInfo-users] Canberra- EDT vs EST

Garth Home gsmedley at eastlink.ca
Tue Nov 27 13:35:56 UTC 2012

At the moment Canberra is on DST, so I would expect the abbreviation to be EDT rather than EST, but
when I run from the rails console:

Time.zone = "Australia/Canberra"
=> "Australia/Canberra"
Time.zone.now
=> Tue, 27 Nov 2012 22:46:23 EST +11:00

Other time zones do have different abbreviations for DST & non-DST times, "US/Eastern", for example,
has EDT/EST.

I can see that in the tzinfo Sydney.rb file, which Canberra is linked to, the entry for DST has
"EST" as the abbreviation. This looks like a bug to me, but I'm new to tzinfo, so maybe I'm missing
something.

-- Garth Smedley