[TZInfo-users] Update schedule?

Philip Ross phil.ross at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 19:10:03 EST 2008

Hi Mark,

2008/11/11 Mark Beattie <mark at empoweredwireless.com>:
> Just wondering if there are any plans to release an update to incorporate
> the latest version of the tz database?

The svn trunk currently contains the latest version of the data
(2008i), but I haven't had a chance to make a release yet. I'll try
and sort this out in the next day or two.

> For an app we're using TzInfo in we need Caracass, but 0.3.11 still has
> outdated info:

TZInfo 0.3.11 uses version 2008g of the tz database. As far as I can
see the America/Caracas zone hasn't changed since version 2007j, so
0.3.11 should be giving you the correct results.

I saw your post on the tz mailing list
(http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.time.tz/2455). Why do you think
that TZInfo is reporting an offset of -4:00 for the Caracas zone?
Using TZInfo 0.3.11, I get the correct result (-4:30):

>> Time.now
=> Tue Nov 11 23:59:23 +0000 2008
>> TZInfo::Timezone.get('America/Caracas').now
=> Tue Nov 11 19:29:27 UTC 2008
>> TZInfo::Timezone.get('America/Caracas').current_period.utc_total_offset / 3600.0
=> -4.5

The tzinfo module for Caracas you've posted also shows that the last
transition sets the offset to :o2, which has an offset of -16200
seconds (-4:30 hours, the same as the tz database extract).

Phil Ross