[TZInfo-users] population numbers?

Philip Ross phil.ross at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 18:16:34 EDT 2007

On 22/10/2007, Sanjay Vakil <svakil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hiya.
> In the docs, it talks about a given country's list of TZs being
> organized geographically, and then by population.
> Is the population data available?  Could it be made so?

TZInfo uses data from the tz database
(http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm) and this is where that
statement is taken from.

I don't have the population data. It isn't available in machine
readable format in the tz database. You could try asking on the tz
mailing list (referenced in the link above) to see if anyone has done
anything involving population data and timezones before.

> Here's why:
> I'm using javascript to get a UTC offset.  And then using that offset,
> along with the country that the user's selected, to attempted to guess
> at the correct timezone.  The code only has one axis to work on -- how
> close the offset is.

Other people I've spoken to about doing similar things have tended to
go for a bit of manual tweaking to pick representative zones for the
larger countries.

Phil Ross