[TZInfo-announce] TZInfo v1.0.0 and TZInfo::Data v1.2013.3 Released
phil.ross at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 17:44:51 UTC 2013
TZInfo version 1.0.0 and TZInfo::Data version 1.2013.3 have been
released (the latter based on version 2013c of IANA Timezone
Gem, zip and tar.gz files can be found at
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=894. You can use 'gem update' to
upgrade if you already have the tzinfo gem installed.
The timezone data previously included with TZInfo as Ruby modules has
now been moved to a separate TZInfo::Data library (available as the
tzinfo-data gem). TZInfo also now supports using the system zoneinfo
files on Linux, Mac OS X and other Unix-like operating systems.
If you want to continue using the Ruby timezone modules, or you are
using an operating system that does not include zoneinfo files (such
as Microsoft Windows), you will need to install TZInfo::Data. This can
be done by running:
gem install tzinfo-data
If TZInfo::Data is installed then TZInfo will use the Ruby timezone
modules. Otherwise, it will attempt to find the system zoneinfo files.
Please refer to the TZInfo documentation for further information.
Changes in this release of TZInfo:
* Allow TZInfo to be used with different data sources instead of just
the built-in Ruby module data files.
* Include a data source that allows TZInfo to load data from the
binary zoneinfo files produced by zic and included with many Linux and
* Remove the definition and index Ruby modules from TZInfo and move
them into a separate TZInfo::Data library (available as the
* Default to using the TZInfo::Data library as the data source if it
is installed, otherwise use zoneinfo files instead.
* Preserve the nanoseconds of local timezone Time objects when
performing conversions (issue #29705).
* Don't add the tzinfo lib directory to the search path when requiring
'tzinfo'. The tzinfo lib directory must now be in the search path
before 'tzinfo' is required.
* Add utc_start_time, utc_end_time, local_start_time and
local_end_time instance methods to TimezonePeriod. These return an
identical value as the existing utc_start, utc_end, local_start and
local_end methods, but return Time instances instead of DateTime.
* Make the start_transition, end_transition and offset properties of
TimezonePeriod protected. To access properties of the period, callers
should use other TimezonePeriod instance methods instead (issue
http://tzinfo.rubyforge.org/ -- Ruby Timezone Library
More information about the TZInfo-announce