[TZInfo-announce] TZInfo v0.3.0 Released
philip at ross.org.uk
Mon Jul 17 16:39:45 EDT 2006
TZInfo version 0.3.0 has been released (based on version 2006g of the
underlying tz data).
Gem, zip and tar.gz files can be found at
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=894. You can use 'gem update' to
upgrade if you already have the tzinfo gem installed.
Changes in this release:
* New timezone data format. Timezone data now occupies less space on
disk and takes less memory once loaded. #4142, #4144.
* Timezone data is defined in modules rather than classes. Timezone
instances returned by Timezone.get are no longer instances of data
classes, but are instead instances of new DataTimezone and
* Timezone instances can now be used with Marshal.dump and Marshal.load.
* Added a Timezone.get_proxy method that returns a TimezoneProxy object
for a given identifier.
* Country index data is now defined in a single module that is
independent of the Country class implementation.
* Country instances can now be used with Marshal.dump and Marshal.load.
* Country has a new zone_info method that returns CountryTimezone
objects containing additional information (latitude, longitude and a
description) relating to each Timezone. #4140.
* Timezones within a Country are now returned in an order that makes
* The zdumptest utility now checks local to utc conversions in addition
to utc to local conversions.
* eql? method defined on Country and Timezone that is equivalent to ==.
* == method of Timezone no longer raises an exception when passed an
object with no identifier method.
* == method of Country no longer raises an exception when passed an
object with no code method.
* hash method defined on Country that returns the hash of the code.
* hash method defined on Timezone that returns the hash of the identifier.
* Miscellaneous API documentation corrections and improvements.
* Timezone definition and indexes are now excluded from rdoc (the
contents were previously ignored with #:nodoc: anyway).
* Removed no longer needed #:nodoc: directives from timezone data files
(which are now excluded from the rdoc build).
* Installation of the gem now causes rdoc API documentation to be
* When optimizing transitions to generate zone definitions, check the
UTC and standard offsets separately rather than just the total offset to
UTC. Fixes an incorrect abbreviation issue with Europe/London,
Europe/Dublin and Pacific/Auckland.
* Eliminated unnecessary .nil? calls to give a minor performance gain.
* Timezone.all and Timezone.all_identifiers now return all the
Timezones/identifiers rather than just those associated with countries.
* Added all_data_zones, all_data_zone_identifiers, all_linked_zones and
all_linked_zone_identifiers class methods to Timezone.
* Added a strftime method to Timezone that converts a time in UTC to
local time and then returns it formatted. %Z is replaced with the
Timezone abbreviation for the given time (for example, EST or EDT). #4143.
* Fix escaping of quotes in TZDataParser. This affected country names
and descriptions of timezones within countries.
http://tzinfo.rubyforge.org/ -- DST-aware timezone library for Ruby
More information about the TZInfo-announce