[TZInfo-announce] TZInfo v0.1.0 Released
philip at ross.org.uk
Sun Nov 27 19:27:50 EST 2005
Version 0.1.0 of TZInfo has been released (based on version 2005n of the
underlying tz data).
Major changes in this release include some significant performance
improvements and support for handling ambiguity when converting from
local times to UTC.
The full list of changes in this release:
* period_for_local and local_to_utc now allow resolution of ambiguous
times (e.g. when switching from daylight savings to standard time). The
behaviour of these methods when faced with an ambiguous local time has
now changed. If you are using these methods you should check the
documentation. Thanks to Cliff Matthews for suggesting this change.
* Added require 'date' to timezone.rb (date isn't loaded by default in
* Use rake to build packages and documentation.
* License file is now included in gem distribution.
* Dates in definitions stored as Astronomical Julian Day numbers rather
than as civil dates (improves performance creating DateTime instances).
* Added options to TZDataParser to allow generation of specific zones
* Moved TimezonePeriod class to timezone_period.rb.
* New TimezonePeriodList class to store TimezonePeriods for a timezone
and perform searches for periods.
* Timezones are now defined using blocks. TimezonePeriods are only
instantiated when they are needed. Thanks to Jamis Buck for the suggestion.
* Add options to TZDataParser to allow exclusion of specific zones and
* Exclude the Riyadh Solar Time zones. The rules are only for 1987 to
1989 and take a long time to generate and process. Riyadh Solar Time is
no longer observed.
* The last TimezonePeriod for each Timezone is now written out with an
unbounded rather than arbitrary end time.
* Construct the Rational offset in TimezonePeriod once when the
TimezonePeriod is constructed rather than each time it is needed.
* Timezone and Country now keep a cache of loaded instances to avoid
running require which can be slow on some platforms.
* Updated to tzdata version 2005n.
GEM, zip and tar.gz files can be found at
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=894. You can use 'gem update' to
upgrade if you already tzinfo installed.
http://tzinfo.rubyforge.org/ -- DST-aware timezone library for Ruby
More information about the TZInfo-announce