[typo] [ANN] Typo 6.0 "Irving Penn" for Rails 3

de Villamil Frédéric frederic at de-villamil.com
Fri Jan 21 16:25:23 EST 2011

Good evening,

I'm not sure someone else than me is still reading this list, but I've been posting release announcement there for 4 years now and I won't easily lose a so good habbit.

After 7 months of work, the 6.0.1 "Irving Penn" release of Typo is finally available. This major version of our application is not only about upgrading to Rails 3. It also bring the usual quota of bug fixes and improvements.

You can download Typo 6.0 as a zip archive (http://typosphere.org/stable.zip) or as a tarball (http://typosphere.org/stable.tgz), or just try our online demo at http://demo.typosphere.org.

Upgrading to Rails 3 was a long and difficult path. Typo was born when Rails was very very young. We sometimes had to chose some ways to do things while Rails would chose a totally different way to fix its lacks. Typo 6.0 is only a first Rails 3 compatible version, and we’re still planning to ditch the remaining piece of antiquities we're still carrying.

* Good bye gem and installer
Typo installer has been around for 6 years now. When Rails 1.0 was released, it really looked like a good idea. Unfortunately it quicly became an abandonned blotware. Since then, lots of easy way of deploying a Rails application came, mostly thanks to Passenger and Bundler. That's the reason why we have decided to drop it. Installing Typo is now easy as, let’s say, installing any other mainstream blogging engine: fill in your database credential, run bundle and you’re done.

* Finally a real plugin API
Thomas Lecavelier did a wonderful job working on what’s going to be the real plugin API we’ve dreamt of for a while now. He started with making avatar provider pluggable and knows how much he still has to be done. Good news as he’s the latest addition to Typo core team. We’re really glad to welcome him onboard.

* Admin, SEO and usability
We’ve made some SEO improvement, adding a bit more options, and making tags URL really SEO friendly. Admin usability has been improved to, but we’ve many other things we want to make better as well.

* Theme changes
Theme structure has been change to be compliant with Rails views structure. If you’re using a custom template, you’ll have to move the layouts folder into the views one. Nothing you can’t handle.

* Bug fixes
As usual, we have fixed a bunch of bugs, Typo 6.0.1 being a real bugfix release. Please, read our complete changelog about this.

We're now going to work on a 6.1 version bringing you new feature.

All the best,
Frédéric, Matijs, Cyril and Thomas

--
Frédéric de Villamil
"What's mine is mine. What's yours is still unsetteled" – Go player proverb