[typo] db:create gives "Unknown database"

Allan Bowhill ruby-forum-incoming at andreas-s.net
Sun Aug 22 23:31:59 EDT 2010

Lark Dark wrote:
> Arun Gupta wrote:
>> I'm trying to install Typo 5.0.3 and "rake db:create" gives the
>> following error:
>>
>> -- cut here --
>> (in /Users/arungupta/samples/jruby/typo-5.0.3)
>> rake aborted!
>> #42000Unknown database 'typo_dev'

I am new to Rails and Ruby and I've had a similar problem with a remote
copy of mysql running on a non-dns server on my internal home network.
192.168.0.101 is my Win7 Ruby development environment and a mysql server
is running on 192.168.0.103 on a FreeBSD machine.

I have the following settings in database.yml:

development:
  adapter: mysql
  encoding: utf8
  reconnect: false
  database: myapp_development
  pool: 5
  username: mysql
  host: !str "192.168.0.103"
  password: <password>
  port: 3306

I had a number of problems connecting to mysql when both were installed
on Win7,
in fact so many that I moved the server to UNIX. Using SQLite works
fine, but
I wanted to try MySQL.

The first problem I had connecting was the IP address not being picked
up by
the YAML configuration file. After hours of haggling with various
things, I
found [!str "192.168.0.103"] works in converting the IP address to a
proper
string.

http://yaml.org/YAML_for_ruby.html was a useful resource, since I am new
it.

The second problem I had was in thinking "rake db:migrate" would create
the
database for me. But reading advice in this forum, I created it manually
and
that seemed to do the trick. Tables got created in it.

Most people here probably already know this stuff but I thought I would
post my
experience anyway since it has been an all-day affair to fix.