[typo] Keywords Size Limit

Toby Bryans toby-typo at bryans.org
Wed Apr 21 04:55:39 EDT 2010

Hello Matijs,

Thank you for your reply!

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 08:58:29PM +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> On 04/20/2010 10:57 AM, Toby Bryans wrote:
> > I'm running typo on a postgres database for a choir website
> > (http://amicichamberchoir.org.uk/ if you're interested) and I try to
> > put the name of the composers of each piece sung in each concert in
> > the tags of the entry. This is fine, until I hit 254 characters
> > which I have done, for example in the latest entry.
>
> Well, that's an unexpected use of tags! :-)

It makes for an interesting tag cloud of which composers the choir sings
most as well as the venues that they sing at. I'm pretty sure it also
drives search queries to the site as well. Since I moved to this way of
managing the site we certainly get more hits via search engines due to
people searching for composers.

> > 1) Would it be possible to increase the size of this column so a
> > larger string can be put in that column in a future release?
>
> Certainly.

Great!

> > 2) Will it cause problems for future upgrades if I change the size
> > of this column now?
>
> Probably not, but do make extra sure you make a backup of the database
> before upgrading.

Always :).

Oh, for what it's worth, I had to comment out the backup stage in the
rails installer for another one of my blogs as it used all the memory up
on my virtual server :). That blog has a LOT of content and the rails
backup seems to grab all the data from the database into memory and then
dump it to a yaml file. Given I do a manual sql backup anyway before
every upgrade losing the backup stage isn't a major issue.

> > 3) There's got to be a better way of referencing tags to articles
> > rather than parsing a long string. Are there plans to improve this
> > in the future? I'm thinking in terms of having a table that consists
> > of contents_id, tag_id tuples. Am I wrong in thinking that that
> > would be better? I imagine it isn't an easy change though.
>
> I just took a look, and in fact, both methods are used at the same
> time: the tags are stored in the keywords column, and then copied into
> a structure like the one you propose. I admit this is rather odd,
> although there is a sort-of-good technical reason why this is so:
> Other types of contents store their keywords _only_ in the keywords
> column.

Ah ha. I see! It must make the tag management more difficult though,
especially deleting tags from articles!

> Given that tags are already stored in a separate table, it shouldn't
> be too big of a change to lift the 255-character limit. I will file a
> bug in Typo's bug tracking system for this.

Great, thank you.

> By the way, you can have tags with spaces in them by surrounding them
> with single or double quotes. That way, you don't need to use periods.

Good to know...

Kind regards,

--
Toby