[typo] [ANN] Release of Typo 5.3

de Villamil Frédéric frederic at de-villamil.com
Fri Mar 27 07:52:48 EDT 2009

Hi list,

We're proud to announce Typo 5.3 "Robert Franck" release, 1 day hahead
our due date. After moving to Rails 2.2, Typo next release was just
supposed to be a minor version, some bug fixes, maybe some
enhancement, but nothing more. Unfortunately, what we decided to do
went far beyond our foolishest expectation, and Typo 5.2.1 finally
became Typo 5.3, as a major release.

But let's start with the new features first.

The main feature is without contest the new dynamic permalink scheme
(with automated redirect from the old permas). You can now chose your
favourite permalink format for articles only. Have a look at http://blog.typosphere.org/typo-gets-dynamic-permalink-url.html
  for more information.<br />
Adding this went with lots of code ditching and refactoring. Cache
system has been rewriten from almost scratch, and buggy semi static
caching has been dropped.

We've finally added the long waited Feedburner support. Just add your
feedburner ID in the admin, and let the magic happen.

Another feedback from 5.2 was to get text filter settings on a per
user and a per article basis. This is now back. When upgrading from a
previous Typo version, every user will be given the blog default's
text filter.

Even more SEO capabilities. Tags and categories can be removed from
search engines, using noindex, removed from sitemap.xml, and Typo now
has a robots.txt editor...

The old drop down menus were replaced with some fancy calendar like
date pickers in article date editor.

Notifications for sidebar save and autosave are now done using
growler, a fancy growl like javascript thing.

Inline editor switching à la Wordpress. Isn't that one really cool?

Admin can now deactivate users.

More performance improvement, Typo is really fast now

We're now waiting for your feedback, ideas for the next roadmap...

Frédéric de Villamil
"What's mine is mine. What's yours is still unsetteled" – Go player