[typo] typo 5.1.1 to 5.2 upgrade (now need help with a fastthread issue)

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Mar 27 02:39:16 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I've had sort of an epic journey trying to go from 5.1.1 to 5.2 over
the last 2 days ...

In order to even get typo back up I had to (this is the short story ...)

1. Follow Rick's advice to get datanoise-actionwebservice from
gems.github.com

2. Hand edit the contents of the tags table in the production database
to change any tag that had a "." char in it just so I could get past
migration #71 (071_fix_tags_naming.rb). The migration that was
supposed to do this simply did not work for some reason until I
manually made sure there were no tags with "." chars in the database.
50+ edits to SQL table values.

3. Reorder the migrations because it seemed that migrations prior to
081_create_cache_informations.rb actually depend on the presence of
the cache_informations table and bomb out with fatal migration errors
when the table is not present. Without the reorder I could not get
past migration 078 on the production database

After jumping through all those hoops I seem to have a working install
but I'm getting nailed up by a fastthread issue that I'm hoping
someone can help me out with.

Using both mongrel and webrick I can reliably crash typo 5.2 with this
error:

> ruby: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
> fastthread-1.0.5/lib/fastthread.so: undefined symbol:
> rb_thread_alive_p

In this case google is my friend and it seems that there is a git fix
for this problem:

http://github.com/mental/fastthread/commits/fastthread-1.0.5

  -and-

http://github.com/mental/fastthread/commit/75995d6a097e5b55dc53c39858aea051ce74556e

My main issue is not typo related at this point :) I just don't know
enough about git and/or how it is used with gems and ruby to actually
implement the patch/fix/hotfix whatever that is referenced in the
above URL

Has anyone else run into the "undefined symbol: rb_thread_alive_p" -
any tips on rebuilding fastthread-1.0.5 with the fix that resolves the
"undefined symbol: rb_thread_alive_p" problem?

Regards,
Chris