[typo] Working on a stable release from github by using local branches

Tobias Weisserth tobias.weisserth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 11:22:24 EST 2009

Hi everybody,

I just want to share this with you. I find this useful, maybe this will help
you too.

Since typo in fdv/typo on github is a (fast)moving target, you might want to
work with a stable code base to branch from.

Suppose you might want to work with Typo 5.2.0, you'd clone the repository
or fork it on github and clone from your fork. I did the latter and added
dfv/typo as a remote on my local clone. The remote is named "vanilla_typo"
in my example.

First pull from dfv/typo, including tags:

git pull --tags vanilla_typo master

Then branch off of the tag "release_5_2_0" to "jump back in time":

git checkout -b stable_5_2_0 release_5_2_0

This will create a new branch called "stable_5_2_0" next to your master
branch and whatever else you created.

Please note that you still might need to initialize Typo's submodules at
this point. Migrations will be an issue if you already worked on the same
databases with later migrations. You'll have take care of the state of your
database scheme. Better yet, work on a new set of database schemes for
development, tests and production.

You can now edit files and commit.

When you're done and you want to merge this with a current revision you can
forward-merge like this:

git checkout master
git pull vanilla_typo master
git format-patch -k -m --stdout release_5_2_0..stable_5_2_0 | git am -3 -k

As I haven't used this extensively, I advice care. Maybe the git magicians
reading this list can verify this or add comments.

Tobias W.