[typo] [ANN] Typo 5.4 "Willy Ronis"

de Villamil Frédéric frederic at de-villamil.com
Sat Dec 19 05:09:21 EST 2009

Hello list,

After 9 months of hard work, we're proud to announce the official
release of Typo 5.4 Willy Ronis, the most advanced and user friendly
blogging platform on Rails. Despite having a minor version number,
Typo 5.4 is a major release, coming with a lot of new features and
some bugfixes as Willy Ronis was a great photographer who died this
year at the age of 99. Since Typo 5.4 fixes some major security
issues, you should really think about upgrading. Typo 5.4 is avaliable
at http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=555&release_id=41989 or as a gem.

Typo 5.4 is also a major release because we had many contributors from
all over the world sending new features and fixes along this year.
After contributing for a while, Matijs van Zuijlen (http://www.matijs.net/
) finally joined the core team in late February and did a great job on
this release. We would also like to thank, in alphabetical order:
Diego Elio 'Flameeyes' Pettenò, Edward Middleton, Erik Ostrom, Hans de
Graaff, Jakob Skov-Pedersen, Kurt Werle, Michael Reinsch, Mike
Mondragon, Wei Jen Lu, Yuka Ouka, jzellman, and mpagalan.

So, what's new in Typo 5.4? A lot of things

= A brand new theme
As we announced on our blog, Typo has now a default new theme. True
Blue 3 is a port of the theme used at http://t37.net. Typographic is a
great theme, but we needed something that would fit everyone's blog.
Typographic is still proposed as a standard theme in Typo, but it's
not the default theme anymore.

= A brand new admin
Once again, we've deeply changed the admin. It now comes in the same
blue flavor we've been using on True Blue 3. Some things have moved,
some others have disappeared.

= Performances improvement
Performances improvement has been a huge part of the work on Typo 5.4.
We followed 3 axes to give Typo better performances:
* Switching to Rails 2.3.4 divided the memory footprint by 2 since a
major bug was fixed in this release.
* Removing lots of dead, legacy code made Typo slightly faster. It may
break your theme though, but the changed are easy.
* Switching from Ruby Bluecloth to C Bluecloth 2 has surprising
effects on page generation speed. Generating a page with 4500 comments
switched from more than 2 minutes to about 2 seconds on our testing
machines.

= Autosave for all
Previsouly reserved to new posts only with the simple editor, autosave
is now avaliable when you create and edit posts, on both simple and
visual editor.

= New visual editor
Speaking of the visual editor, we've upgraded to the new CKEditor, aka
FCKEditor 3. Lighter, producing better code, CKEditor is the new
generation of visual web editors. CKEditor is now plugged to Typo
resources engine, providing better backward compatibility with older
blogs. Switch between simple and visual editor without losing content
has also been fixed.

= Articles preview
A long awaited feature was the article preview during edition. It is
now avaliable, so you can be sure of what you're going to publish.

= User creation simplified
Users creation from the front end has been simplified. You now just
need to provide a login and an email, and you're done!

= Users public profiles
Users public pages are back, coming with an improved profile, allowing
you to display your msn, aim, or twitter id. You can also chose the
name you'll display on screen, chosing from your login, real name, or
anything else. Authors also have their RSS and Atom feed back. An
author sidebar is now also avaliable.

= Chinese support
Simple Chinese joins the number of languages supported by Typo. Cool.

= Better Wordpress converter
Wordpress converter has been greatly improved, fixing lots of points
that made the import incomplete: pages imported as article, spam
comments considered as ham, blog name and subtitle not imported...
Switching to Typo has never been easier.

= Secondary layout for pages
Lost of users have been asking for the possibility to define a
secondary layout for pages. It's now done. Just add a pages.html.erb
in your theme layout directory, mix some HTML and Ruby and you're done!

= Cache unification
Since we've fixed the static cache, we've decided to drop the cached
model support along with the memcache support for cache model. It
results in a lighter, simpler code, and less errors possible.

We hope you'll enjoy using this release as much as we enjoyed building
it.

Merry Xmas, and happy new year
Your Typo team
--
Frédéric de Villamil
"What's mine is mine. What's yours is still unsetteled" – Go player