[typo] wordpress converter

Matijs van Zuijlen matijs at matijs.net
Wed Apr 29 08:50:44 EDT 2009

Jay Levitt wrote:
> de Villamil Frédéric wrote:
>> Including unpacked gems into Typo was a way for us to make the install
>> process easier with by including lots of dependencies into the core
>> application. It sounded like a good idea, until it crashed somewhere.
> This may count as "vaguest suggestion ever", but didn't I see Something
> Somewhere Recently about application templates, development vs.
> production gem dependencies, rails app-installers, etc. - maybe as part
> of Rails 2.3 -that would create a better compromise between "we can't
> possibly ensure that typo works on an N*M matrix of gem combinations"
> and "I want to take advantage of the latest gems automatically"?

I think you refer to the fact that you can, in rails 2.3, put gem
dependencies in the common environment.rb, and also in the
environment/test.rb etc. This way you can specify, we need rspec, but
only in testing. Very useful.

But to solve the problem of "we know typo works for gem such-and-such
version 3.0.3, but someone wants to use 10.0.1", that won't help. What
will help, is putting a minimum version or a range of versions in the
gem dependencies (you would put something like ">=3.0.3".

> I just went through a similar problem importing Movable Type into
> first-time Typo blog; typo includes RedCloth3 (3.0.3 or 3.0.4 I think),
> and the newest RedCloth 4 fixes a number of long-standing bugs.  Since
> MT uses a non-Ruby version of Textile, all my entries were formatted for
> "proper" Textile, and RedCloth 3 made them look really ugly... took a
> while to figure out why.

Ouch, that's nasty.