[typo] typo installation on bluehost

Huang Jay tomcruizster at gmail.com
Wed May 21 03:04:54 EDT 2008

Hi, I try to install typo 5.0.3 on a subdomain of "eeacsite.com".
I followed the instructions step by step from
http://bartgdev.com/articles/2006/08/07/installing-typo-on-bluehost.

1. I create a subdomain typo, wget typo-5.0.3, tar the file, and
create a symbol link:
ln -s ~/rails/typo-5.0.3/public ~/public_html/typo.
2. Create the necessary databases by phpMyAdmin.
3. Setting Typo to Production
Add the following lines to these files:
typo/config/environment.rb
ENV['RAILS_ENV'] = 'production'

typo/public/.htaccess
SetEnv RAILS_ENV production

Set dispatcher path in "typo/public/dispatch.rb" Old Line:
#require "dispatcher" New Line:
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.4/lib/dispatcher"

4. set the FastCGI, here is my typo5.0.3/public/.htaccess Content:
# General Apache options
AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
AddHandler fcgid-script .fcgi
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
#Options +FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI

SetEnv RAILS_ENV production

# If you don't want Rails to look in certain directories,
# use the following rewrite rules so that Apache won't rewrite certain requests
#
# Example:
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/notrails.*
# RewriteRule .* - [L]

# Redirect all requests not available on the filesystem to Rails
RewriteEngine On

# If Typo is accessed via an Alias directive, then you MUST also set
# the RewriteBase in this htaccess file.
#
# Example:
# Alias /blog /path/to/typo/public
# RewriteBase /blog

RewriteRule ^$ index.html [QSA]
RewriteRule ^([^.]+)/!$ $1.html [QSA]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.fcgi [QSA,L] #
<=change to dispatch.cgi

# In case Typo experiences terminal errors
# Instead of displaying this message you can supply a file here which will be r$
#
# Example:
# ErrorDocument 500 /500.html

ErrorDocument 500 "<h2>Application error</h2>Typo failed to start properly"

5.chmod
I give everything in the typo-5.0.3/public/*.* folder CHMOD 755 access.

Finally I try to open "typo.eeacsite.com" in the browser. It gives:

Internal Server Error

unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster at typo.eeacsite.com
and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might
have done that may have caused the error.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while
trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g DAV/2
mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server
at typo.eeacsite.com Port 80

I cannot find other resources to figure out this problem. Could
someone help me with this?