[typo] Typo 5.0.4b

de Villamil Frédéric frederic at de-villamil.com
Sun Jun 29 15:45:53 EDT 2008

Hi list,

After 4 months of hard work, doubts and refactoring, Typo 5.0.3.98,
aka Typo 5.0.4 beta is finaly out. As for any beta release, it was
mostly done for testing purpose, and to let our happy translators do
their job. So please, fill in bug reports when you find one, and don’t
be shy, submit a patch along :-). All the features are not frozen yet,
even though any addition will be minor.

So, what’s new there? Many things.

== Multi roles ==

Multiple roles are finally here, thanks to the work of Davide
D’Agostino and Cyril Mougel. You can now choose between Administrator
and Publisher. Contributor may come soon, but this special profile
needs some more development.

== A new default theme ==

Typographic is a simple, clean theme made by Hélène from O2sources, a
French company involved in free and open source projects. Typographic
relies on lightness, simplicity, warm colors, and adapts your screen…
up to a certain extent.

Dirtylicious and Standard issue have been removed and are now hosted
at Typogarden. If you want to keep using them, you’ll have to download
them first.

== A brand new admin ==

The admin has been rethought, lot of code has disappeared, and it’s
now cleaner, lighter and easier to use.

We now have tag management, which we plan to improve with things like
tag merging, or detection of too close tags. We also offer tag
autocomplete in the publishing interface.

The publishing interface has been rebuilt to be easier and clearer to
use. We’ve dropped the live preview powered editor since it was really
killing the server by sending continuous AJAX requests.

== The come back of the gem ==

The gem is back and working, which means Typo has never been easier to
install. Just run

   # gem install typo
   # typo install /some/path

And you’re done. Typo is now running on a random port using sqlite
database.

However, we don’t recommend this configuration for production use.
Even though there are many ways to run a Rails application, we have
chosen and support Passenger aka mod_rails with MySQL as the easiest
and most reliable way to run Typo.

Final release is due in 3 weeks. I hope you'll have the time to
install and test this new version and report bugs.

Cheers,
Frédéric

--
Frédéric de Villamil