[typo] db:create gives "Unknown database"

Arun Gupta arun.gupta at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:07:39 EDT 2008

Thanks Michael,

Your statement is bringing sanity back to me :)

Since Rails 2.0 (now 2.1), I've always created database using
db:create. I was wondering why it just does not work with Typo but the
bug report seems to make some sense. Now the weird thing is that
config/environment.rb has:

config.active_record.observers = :email_notifier, :web_notifier

so the bug reports are not valid in this particular case. It seems
there is something more to it. Guess I'll blog about it.

-Arun

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 6:57 AM, Michael Hasenstein
<ruby-forum-incoming at andreas-s.net> wrote:
> Arun Gupta wrote:
>
>> AIU the main point of db:create is to create the database. Since Rails
>> 2.0, I've never use mysqladmin command to create the database and
>> always used db:create. I'm still confused why I need to explicitly
>> create the database using mysqladmin.
>> -Arun
>

> Hi Arun,
>
> No one here believes you? Well I do... had the same error. I found
> several URLs of the same sort, like
> http://justbarebones.blogspot.com/2008/05/rails-202-restful-authentication-and.html
> and this very recent bug report:
> http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/63-bug-rake-db-create-and-observers
> However, I ended up giving up on rails and created my database manually.
> It IS a bug in rails, maybe triggered by one of the plugins, who knows.
> Since it only shows up at db creation time I thought it not worth
> investigating further.
>

> To all those doubters here, first, db:create IS supposed to create the
> database. When I run it and the (empty!) schema exists it complains
> about this fact. When the schema doesn't exist I get the same error as
> Arun. It's just another bug in rails.
>
> Michael

Web Technologies and Standards
Sun Microsystems, Inc.