[typo] [ANN] Release of Typo 5.1 "Cartier Bresson"

de Villamil Frédéric frederic at de-villamil.com
Mon Jul 21 14:13:40 EDT 2008

After a long time of development, Typo 5.1 "Cartier-Bresson" was
released on monday July the 21th at around 8PM GMT and can be
considered as a major Typo Version.

It contains :

** Multiple users and roles.

This point actually makes Typo 5.1 a major version. This release
introduces 3 roles, coming along with various privileges :
– Administrator, who owns full administrative and publishing power.
– Publisher, who owns full publishing power on his own contents.
– Contributors, who only have the right to login and edit their profile.

There is now an option to allow new users to register by themselves or
not. If not, the administrator will just have to add them himself in
the admin.

** Improved admin

The admin has been heavily refactored to be lighter, easier to use,
and offer more capabilities.
– You can now save your posts as drafts. Drafts now appear in a
separate area of your administration to separarte them from offline
– New editing interface.
– Tag autocompletion.
– A new dashboard that makes daily administration easier.
– Save as draft capabilities
– Autosave capabilities (only with simple visual editor)
– Revamped UI
– Many more...

** New default theme

After leaving the too much long used Azure theme for some templates
found on open source design websites, we realized Typo needed a new
default theme. We asked O2Source a French web Agency involved in many
free and open source templates, and they came up with Typographic.

We wanted something new, far from the classic white and blue fixed
width wordpressish thing, something with its own personnality, that
would take the whole screen and adapt many resolutions, and we've been
quite delighted with what Hélène produced.

** Come back of the gem and the installer

After fixing numerous bugs happening with Typo installed through our
installer, we were able to provide the gem again, making Typo
installation easier than ever.

MySQL is now the default database and SQLITE dependency has been

** Lots of code improvement and refactoring

The code have been improved and refactored, maing Typo lighter than
ever. This is a guarantee of less errors.

** New migrators

We've included new migrators, allowing easy import from Wordpress and
Dotclear 1.2 and 2. Typepad and Textpattern may follow soon.

** New site with up to date documentation

The bugtracker has been moved from Trac to Redmine, so has the
documentation, which has been rewriten in many ways. Access to the doc
has also been made easier by merging redmine.typosphere.org with

Lots of bugfixes, too much to say here.
Frédéric de Villamil
http://fredericdevillamil.com             Typo : http://typosphere.org