[typo] Deploying Ruby on Rails Applications

de Villamil Frédéric frederic at de-villamil.com
Thu Jul 17 08:39:08 EDT 2008

> The documentation is fine. The only problem is that there is no
> single orthodox solution. I see that as a strength, but it does mean
> that some expertise is required to choose your recipe. You (Chet)
> are right in the sense that for the beginner, a working typo blog is
> probably not as easy to get to as a working php-based blog. For
> anyone who knows what they're doing there's really no difference and
> the rails model is much easier to maintain.
>
> Most of this is general to rails so it's also worth mentioning that
> Frédéric is very diligent and responsive and the software is good.
> He deserves more appreciation, i think.

Regarding the dcumentation, I've started to refactor the one we have
and published some. I'm taking the doc back on the redmin, and will
move *.typosphere.org on it but the blog.

If someone here have the time to proofread this :
http://redmine.typosphere.org/wiki/typo/Before_Installing_Typo
http://redmine.typosphere.org/wiki/typo/Install_Typo_with_Typo_installer
http://redmine.typosphere.org/wiki/typo/Install_Typo_from_the_gem
http://redmine.typosphere.org/wiki/typo/Secure_Typo_admin_with_HTTPS

I will add docs on deploying Typo under various things tonight :
– Apache + mod_rails
– Apache + fastcgi
– Apache + mongrel
– Nginx + Thin
– Nginx + Fastcgi
– Nginx + mongrel
– Lighttpd + fastcgi
– Lighttpd + Thin
– Lighttpd + mongrel

However, we do officially recommend and support mod_rails as the best
and easiest way to run any Rails app.

Regarding my appreciation, I know I've made some mistakes (5.0 was one
of them : relying too much on the tests and not testing in production
mode enough). However, I prefer having negative feedback as long as
it's argumented and documented, it's much better than just "yay, your
appz is so cool" when you want to improve things.

Regards,
Frédéric

--
Frédéric de Villamil