[typo] Deploying Ruby on Rails Applications (was: Re: Can't update feeds?)

Chet Farmer chet at nogators.com
Thu Jul 17 01:21:22 EDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 7:34 PM, Kevin Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Chet Farmer <chet at nogators.com>
> wrote:
>> Why on earth would you need to run a second web server? That seems
>> like a
>> really bad idea, frankly, hence my annoyance that the most obvious
>> question
>> (which boils down to "WTF?", essentially)  isn't addressed.
>
> Let's compare to a Wordpress blog run on Apache using mod_php. The PHP
> code does not serves all requests. Apache serves up the static content
> (css, javascript, graphics, etc.). Many popular front-end servers also
> perform proxying and load balancing, and tons of other functions.
> Mod_php just runs the PHP code. Most Ruby web apps are served in this
> fashion rather than by an Apache module because it was easier to
> implement

This must be some radical other definition of "easier."

> (at the time mod_ruby was a memory-leaking nightmare) and it
> is a more flexible design by virtue of not being tied to Apache and by
> being proxyable behind any decent http proxy.
>
> It's not a bad idea, it's a sound idea. Please settle down and ask
> polite questions if you truly want to understand and use Typo.

If you really think I'm the one that needs to settle down, I think you
must have been reading some other thread.

I've made it abundantly clear that I am 100% uninterested in
installation tweaks right now because I am dealing with bugs in Typo.
That's my  front-burner issue. If these bugs can't get resolved, the
installation issues are irrelevant. I appreciate you explaining the
rationale for Mongrel, et. al., above, nevertheless.

Chet
----
"An educated public is exactly what they don't want . . . more people
believe in angels than believe in long division." R. Norris 31 May 2006