[typo] Deploying Ruby on Rails Applications (was: Re: Can't update feeds?)

Kevin Williams kevwil at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 20:34:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Chet Farmer <chet at nogators.com> wrote:
> Why on earth would you need to run a second web server? That seems like a
> really bad idea, frankly, hence my annoyance that the most obvious question
> (which boils down to "WTF?", essentially)  isn't addressed.

Let's compare to a Wordpress blog run on Apache using mod_php. The PHP
code does not serves all requests. Apache serves up the static content
(css, javascript, graphics, etc.). Many popular front-end servers also
perform proxying and load balancing, and tons of other functions.
Mod_php just runs the PHP code. Most Ruby web apps are served in this
fashion rather than by an Apache module because it was easier to
implement (at the time mod_ruby was a memory-leaking nightmare) and it
is a more flexible design by virtue of not being tied to Apache and by
being proxyable behind any decent http proxy.

It's not a bad idea, it's a sound idea. Please settle down and ask
polite questions if you truly want to understand and use Typo.