[typo] Deploying Ruby on Rails Applications

Rodger Donaldson rodgerd at diaspora.gen.nz
Wed Jul 16 15:12:37 EDT 2008

Scott Likens wrote:
>>> Um, no. It is NOT well documented, or, if it is, those documents are
>>> not easy to find.
>> I'll certainly agree with that.  Getting mongrel working with
>> mod_proxy was essentially an exercise in Google and reading blogs.
> Why is mod_proxy working with mongrel such an exercise?
> That's it as a whole, 7 whole lines.  Add that to your apache
> configuration in a Virtualhost area for your blog and startup typo and
> you should be golden.

At which point you wonder why everything is running so slow, and you
discover that mongrel really, really sucks at delivering image files and
the like.  So your 7 line example works if you want horrible performance
with even a trivial number of users.

> I've tried Gentoo and it's worked excellent also, so perhaps some research is
> in order?

Actually, I've used Ruby on a number of the Linux problems, and the
interaction of Gems and Ruby is a problem on all of them.  A snide and
condescendng tone does not change this fact, it merely convinces people
they don't want to bother using typo.