[typo] Deploying Ruby on Rails Applications

Rodger Donaldson rodgerd at diaspora.gen.nz
Wed Jul 16 15:19:27 EDT 2008

Chet Farmer wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2008, at 6:10 AM, Scott Likens wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll certainly agree with that.  Getting mongrel working with
>>> mod_proxy was essentially an exercise in Google and reading blogs.
>>
>> Why is mod_proxy working with mongrel such an exercise?
>
> Beats me. Perhaps you should refer to the first portion of my reply to
> you last night.

Explanation by analogy would be helpful; "Mogrel fills a role similar to
that of Tomcat for JSP applications" would be a good starting point for
most people with experience with web apps.

The best explanations of how to make it all hang together well I found
were at

http://blog.codahale.com/2006/06/19/time-for-a-grown-up-server-rails-mongrel-apache-capistrano-and-you/,

http://jonathan.tron.name/2006/07/26/apache-2-0-x-mongrel-mod_proxy-mod_rewrite-configuration

but one of those is talking about another Rails blog tool, of course.

This would require Typosphere to be online and updated from time to time.

> It's definitely Ruby's problem if PHP, Perl, Python, etc., are all
> running fine out of the box.

It is a problem with Ruby & Gems specifically that Gems don't integrate
as smoothly as extending Perl with non-packaged CPAN modules does on
major Linux distros.