[typo] Deploying Ruby on Rails Applications (was: Re: Can't update feeds?)

Chet Farmer chet at nogators.com
Wed Jul 16 09:43:09 EDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 6:04 AM, Scott Likens wrote:
> Which portion of the documentation needs to be revised? FastCGI?
> Mongrel?

Honestly, all of it. I know that's a broad answer, but it's the truth.
Compare the installation experience of a LAMP stack tool to Typo's and
you'll see the huge gap.

In particular, deeper descriptions of why Mongrel needs to be
involved, what the alternatives to a Mongrel configuration are, and
why one might choose one approach over the other are ALL questions
that need to be addressed. I made that clear in my prior post.

> Typo is imo extremely easy to deploy and get up in running in under
> 5 minutes.

Here, you're just plain wrong.

>  If your having a problem deploying typo please elaborate and tell
> us what the problem is with you deploying Typo so we can help you
> deploy it?

I had problems getting mine to run, that's certainly true. But at this
point my Typo runs (just not in the way I really want it do; the
machine can't also run Apache -- as, again, I've made clear before).

My issues are bugs in Typo. If I can't get those bugs resolved, Typo's
quirky and difficult installation issues will become academic, as I'll
have to migrate to something else. The important bugs to ME are:

-- my feeds do not dynamically update. They get created when first
requested, but are then frozen in amber.

-- Typo does not work properly with MarsEdit or other stand-alone
editors. This is a show-stopper for me.

I also have some other outstanding questions regarding updating my
Typo, and verifying the version I have, but those are in another mail
I posted early yesterday, I believe, and are part of a dialog with

- How do I verify what version of Typo I have?
- How is it best to upgrade Typo? What specific steps should be taken,
and why?

"They say no mortal woman was enough for him so he made one himself
outta whiskey an liquors an ale," says me. "An he loved her like a
lumberjack made of eating loves a woman made of ham." (Fafblog