[typo] Deploying Ruby on Rails Applications (was: Re: Can't update feeds?)

Chet Farmer chet at nogators.com
Wed Jul 16 09:43:09 EDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 6:04 AM, Scott Likens wrote:
> Which portion of the documentation needs to be revised? FastCGI?
> Mongrel?

Honestly, all of it. I know that's a broad answer, but it's the truth.
Compare the installation experience of a LAMP stack tool to Typo's and
you'll see the huge gap.

In particular, deeper descriptions of why Mongrel needs to be
involved, what the alternatives to a Mongrel configuration are, and
why one might choose one approach over the other are ALL questions
that need to be addressed. I made that clear in my prior post.

> Typo is imo extremely easy to deploy and get up in running in under
> 5 minutes.

Here, you're just plain wrong.

>  If your having a problem deploying typo please elaborate and tell
> us what the problem is with you deploying Typo so we can help you
> deploy it?

I had problems getting mine to run, that's certainly true. But at this
point my Typo runs (just not in the way I really want it do; the
machine can't also run Apache -- as, again, I've made clear before).

My issues are bugs in Typo. If I can't get those bugs resolved, Typo's
quirky and difficult installation issues will become academic, as I'll
have to migrate to something else. The important bugs to ME are:

-- my feeds do not dynamically update. They get created when first
requested, but are then frozen in amber.

-- Typo does not work properly with MarsEdit or other stand-alone
editors. This is a show-stopper for me.

I also have some other outstanding questions regarding updating my
Typo, and verifying the version I have, but those are in another mail
I posted early yesterday, I believe, and are part of a dialog with
Frederic.

- How do I verify what version of Typo I have?
- How is it best to upgrade Typo? What specific steps should be taken,
and why?

---
"They say no mortal woman was enough for him so he made one himself
outta whiskey an liquors an ale," says me. "An he loved her like a
lumberjack made of eating loves a woman made of ham." (Fafblog
2004-08-05)