[typo] Deploying Ruby on Rails Applications

Scott Likens damm at livid.dk
Wed Jul 16 07:10:24 EDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 12:14 AM, Rodger Donaldson wrote:

> Chet Farmer wrote:
>>> Now, there's no real difference with Mongrel/Webrick if you run
>>> nginx or Apache or lighttpd.  It works, it's well documented and
>>> takes the most amount of memory (actually all of them really take
>>> the same amount of memory, you just don't see the ruby process
>>> hanging around using up 140megs of memory).
>> Um, no. It is NOT well documented, or, if it is, those documents
>> are not easy to find.
> I'll certainly agree with that.  Getting mongrel working with
> mod_proxy was essentially an exercise in Google and reading blogs.

Why is mod_proxy working with mongrel such an exercise?

  <Proxy *>
     Order deny,allow
     Allow from all

   ProxyPass / http://localhost:4485
   ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:4485
   ProxyPreserveHost On

That's it as a whole, 7 whole lines.  Add that to your apache
configuration in a Virtualhost area for your blog and startup typo and
you should be golden.

>>> It doesn't make it better, or worse or anything.  (It scales
>>> horribly also for those of you who are talking about scaling).
>> Actually, "easy to deploy" DOES earn an app significant points with
>> pretty much any administrator I know. I consider that "better."
> Yes.  And, frankly, Ruby + gems on most Linux distros is in such a
> state that I end up maintaining my own Ruby install from source.
> Given the pain of the recent security holes (for example), I find
> that this is actually driving me to think I should can it and go for
> the same suite of PHP apps as everyone else.

I will agree with that, as Debian Etch currently has Ruby 1.8.4(2? i
forget) with Rubygems 0.92.  However is that Ruby's problem? or the
Linux distribution you chose?  If they are willing to give you that
old of Ruby, what makes you think the PHP is any more recent?

... Now I agree they should update that to at least 1.8.6, and
Rubygems 1.2.0, however they have their release cycle and unless it's
a critical security fix you will never get it until the next release.
Ubuntu's way of handling Ruby is quite odd to say the least.  I tried
CentOS 5 out of the box, got Warehouseapp running for a customer in a
matter of minutes however.  yum worked perfectly for me, and I had 0
issues with it. I've tried Gentoo and it's worked excellent also, so
perhaps some research is in order?