[typo] Can't update feeds?

Chet Farmer chet at nogators.com
Tue Jul 15 10:03:07 EDT 2008

On Jul 12, 2008, at 5:02 PM, de Villamil Frédéric wrote:

>> Well, Robert was replying to me; it's my frustration with Typo he's
>> addressing.
> 2 feedbacks are still better than one, thank you for yours

Hey, glad to. BTW, I'm gonna go ahead and address this:

> Hope this will, haven't written a so long mail in English for ages,
> hope I didn't do too much mistakes

Your English is very, very good. I don't have any trouble
understanding you.

>> My first real issue with it is the complexity of its installation,
>> and the requirements it imposes if you want to run it on the same
>> box with Apache (i.e., the proxying thing with Mongrel). I found
>> little in the way of informative installation instructions; mostly
>> I saw step-by-step guides that explained nothing beyond "do A, B,
>> and C".
> There are actually lots of way to run Typo, or any Rails app. Let's
> say :
> – Apache + mongrel
> – Apache + mod_rails (my favourite, and the easiest way imho, just
> run mod_rails 1.5 since 1.9 and beyond have issues with the memory).
> Check at http://typosphere.org/2007/08/26/install-typo#apache_modrails
> – Apache + fastcgi
> – Nginx + thin
> – Nginx + mongrel
> – Lighttpd + thin
> – Ligthtpd + mongrel
> – Lighttpd + fastcgo
> And I may forget some of them.

Well, if there's some great documentation for installing it under
mod_rails, I'd love to see it -- I'll check out the link you provide.
I just didn't find much along those lines when I went to install Typo
initially. Right now, it's on a Slicehost instance with no Apache, but
I'd love to be able to run other stuff under an Apache instance there.

>> But that's a basic architecture thing. The Typo leaders decided to
>> build it this way, despite the extra complexity it demands over a
>> traditional LAMP-stack-in-a-VHost type deployment. Mileage varies,
>> and all that.
> The traditionnal LAMP stack implies you're using PHP. Typo is Ruby
> on Rails, and  thus, was a bit more difficult to deploy until
> recently. Check mod_rails at http://modrails.com, these guys may
> help you going to simplicity LAMR-in-a-vhost.

Sure, but "LAMP" has been extended to mean most Linux + Apache + (some
open source DB) + (some interprested language). I've seen stuff with
Perl or Python plus Postgres referred to as "LAMP" b/c the
installation was a simple matter of bringing up another virtual host
under apache and installing the right module. Follow?

Typo is part of a whole different tradition (the Rails world). I don't
fault it just because of that; I just dislike the additional complexity.

>> My major complaints with Typo itself are three-fold:
>> First, that it does not play nice with MarsEdit or any other local
>> blogging client.
> It's at the same time a bug AND an absent feature.
> – The categories issue has been fixed in the trunk and this will be
> in the next release, if not already (I'm damn too much lazy to check
> now)
> – The tags is a missing feature, mostly because the guy who added
> them was not blogging using an external client and then didn't think
> about them. I myself never used such a client until recently, for
> debugging purpose. And guess what, it was for the above point.

So should I expect both of these to get resolved, or no?

>> Second, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my feeds
>> to work; see my other posts for more information there.
> We've been having lots of cache issues which have been fixed in the
> trunk, and the lateste release as well. Try to manually remove your
> feed files from public/. It should be articles.rss or articles.atom,
> don't know which ones you use. These bugs made me realize I really
> should extend our tests coverage.

Well, doing so brought my feeds up to date, but the feed fell behind
again the minute I posted something new -- i.e., new articles don't
show up in the feed, so the problem is still there.

Does Typo not have a 100% dynamic mode?

>> Third, it's not at all clear to me how to upgrade. I thought I'd
>> done it, but my site still reports an old version number.
> It's actually pretty easy. I've always written doc on how to install
> Typo, not about how to upgrade it. Another thing added to my TODO
> list before the next release. I wish days were 50 hours.
> Don't know how you installed typo, but you can just unpack Typo in
> your current directory and have it overwrite your old apps files.
> Restart your application and run rake db:migrate
> RAILS_ENV=production if you're running in production mode (and
> please, do it, it's VERY important since you won't be able for that
> time to access the database upgrade page in your admin)

How can I verify my Typo version?

>> Any help you can give me would be appreciated! I'd prefer to avoid
>> WordPress and Moveable Type given what I know about either
>> platform, but my frustrations with Typo make staying with it a
>> challenge.
> I stopped using wordpress which I was a contributor since the B2 era
> for typo because I was so much pissed off with it.

Honestly, the real alternative isn't WP. It's either MT or Drupal.

"An educated public is exactly what they don't want . . . more people
believe in angels than believe in long division." R. Norris 31 May 2006