[typo] Trunk DELETED my Blog folder

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 04:30:48 EST 2008

On 1/2/08, Scott Likens <damm at yazzy.org> wrote:
> Okay, I'm going to explain why Dir::tmpdir is different on Linux and OS X.
>
> this is fairly easy, if you grok the tmpdir.rb you can see why.
>
> we take this bit of code
>
>   for dir in [ENV['TMPDIR'], ENV['TMP'], ENV['TEMP'],
>                  ENV['USERPROFILE'], @@systmpdir, '/tmp']
>        if dir and File.directory?(dir) and File.writable?(dir)
>
> So we have it clearly looking at TEMP TMP and TMPDIR and USERPROFILE (nfi
> what that is).
>
> On OS X, it sets your TMPDIR such as (for me)
>
> TMPDIR=/var/folders/o4/o4PgUarhGOqv22kCO8qczE+++TI/-Tmp-/
>
> now I can say on my Linux server none of those variables are set, and then
> it checks /tmp and is happy.
>
> It really doesn't fix the problem, it just explains why TMPDIR is different
> on OS X.

Ah... Well, the latest code in trunk adds its own subdirectory to the
TMPDIR path, which should at least fix the problem of it zapping /tmp.
I've also just checked in something with extended logging. This won't
actually help too much as it stands because, obviously, you lose the
logfiles at the same time as the rest of the blog directory, but if
you edit app/models/page_cache.rb and change the line

  FileUtils.rm_rf(trash)

#   FileUtils.rm_rf(trash)

the directory won't actually be deleted, just moved to
$TMPDIR/typodel.<auuid> so you'll be able to recover it and post any
log entries here (or in a pastie).

Thanks for your help.

I'm afraid I don't know when I'll get to this properly though, I'm
currently laid up with a very nasty cold and a bad back. Lousy timing,
I know.