[typo] Trunk DELETED my Blog folder

Scott Likens damm at yazzy.org
Wed Jan 2 04:28:41 EST 2008

Okay, I'm going to explain why Dir::tmpdir is different on Linux and
OS X.

this is fairly easy, if you grok the tmpdir.rb you can see why.

we take this bit of code

   for dir in [ENV['TMPDIR'], ENV['TMP'], ENV['TEMP'],
                  ENV['USERPROFILE'], @@systmpdir, '/tmp']
        if dir and File.directory?(dir) and File.writable?(dir)

So we have it clearly looking at TEMP TMP and TMPDIR and USERPROFILE
(nfi what that is).

On OS X, it sets your TMPDIR such as (for me)

TMPDIR=/var/folders/o4/o4PgUarhGOqv22kCO8qczE+++TI/-Tmp-/

now I can say on my Linux server none of those variables are set, and
then it checks /tmp and is happy.

It really doesn't fix the problem, it just explains why TMPDIR is
different on OS X.