[typo] Typo grinding to a halt

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Tue Jan 1 11:58:07 EST 2008

On 1/1/08, Murray Wilson <murray at murmini.com> wrote:
> I have an active blog, http://www.murmini.com and it has been
> remarkably robust for a couple of years. Over the past few months it
> has become painfully slow. If your posting articles or comments or
> making any updates via the admin interface, it takes forever for it to
> accept changes. I am now receiving a lot of emails from people telling
> me they can't post comments as their browser times-out before it
> posts. I am hosting it on Rails Machine and the team there can't find
> what is wrong with it. I would be very very grateful of someone
> knowledgeable with the workings of Typo could contact me and suggest
> what we can do. Its a great program and has served me very well,
> however of recent it has become very frustrating. Thanks you in
> advance for any help you can provide. murray

Cache sweeping turns out to be a major timesink for typo, especially
if there's a lot of items in the page cache because, until recently,
the sweep involved hitting the database and deleting each cached file
individually. The problematic changes in Typo 5 are an attempt to work
around that problem by moving the article and pages directories into a
temporary 'trash' directory and then nuking that directory with an 'rm

The catch with that approach is that for reasons I still can't quite
understand, sometimes it's moving the entire typo directory into the
trash directory, which is less than ideal.

This is, obviously, a lousy time to be laid up with flu - I can no
more wrap my brain around code at the moment than fly over the moon.