[typo] Typo on mongrel + apache + ubuntu

Scott Likens damm at yazzy.org
Sat Feb 16 15:16:10 EST 2008

Pat,

Unfortunately that is an Apache thing, what it does is determine that
the service it is connecting to as a proxy is down, and it remembers
that it is down.

You would see in the apache error_log (for example)

[Sat Feb 16 11:55:38 2008] [error] (111)Connection refused: proxy:
HTTP: attempt to connect to 127.0.0.1:4485 (xxx.xxxxx.xxx) fad
[Sat Feb 16 11:55:38 2008] [error] ap_proxy_connect_backend disabling
worker for (xxx.xxxxx.xxx)
[Sat Feb 16 11:55:38 2008] [error] proxy: HTTP: disabled connection
for (xxx.xxxxx.xxx)

Sometimes, a hard refresh after starting/stopping typo will resolve it
without restarting apache.  However that is really a limitation of
apache and has nothing to do with mongrel or typo. :(

As far as your init script, it looks fine... you might have a case
where when you stop apache it doesn't kill all of it's children and
the restart fails... not very likely since it's a restart but I've
seen it happen.

BTW, I just did that, it disabled it, re-started typo and it started
working again without restarting apache... running Apache 2.2.8

Hope that helps.

Scott