[typo] Templating & Documentation

de Villamil Frédéric frederic at de-villamil.com
Sun Dec 21 05:11:11 EST 2008

Le 20 déc. 08 à 12:34, Tobias Weisserth a écrit :

> Hi everybody,
> I am new to Typo and just started using it. I chose Typo because I'm
> sick of hacking PHP applications which look good on the outside but
> stink on the inside.
> So, my first question is about documentation. Where do I start? I
> want to know about how to write templates for Typo and I want to add
> Plugins and maybe even hack core files. Is there something like an
> API documentation?
> I already got some nice results by creating a template and comparing
> it to the ones coming with Typo. However, I want to do more:
> * I want to be able to place (specific) plugins (like the "Pages"
> plugin) outside of the sidebar partial. So, it would be nice to have
> another custom partial to place plugins in (for example a horizontal
> aligned area).
> * I need to know where to find information about what method calls
> are useful for template creation. Is there a place where I can read
> about that?
> Thanks!
> Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I had to translate my Typo theming
quickguide in english before this.

* To call specific plugins, you want to read http://www.bofh.org.uk/articles/2007/04/14/cunning-typo-sidebar-tricks

* I've just translated my theming quickguide, which is at http://github.com/fdv/typo/wikis/typo-theme-creation-quick-guide

Typo plugins are basic rails plugins for now. Except for sidebars, we
don't really have any plugins API like Wordpress has. However, you can
just write rails plugins and call the methods in your template.

I know Typo lacks documentation, and this is a point we need to
improve on.

Hope this helps,

Frédéric de Villamil