[typo] Articles feed not working (5.0.3)?

Tim Prentis ruby-forum-incoming at andreas-s.net
Wed Aug 20 15:21:59 EDT 2008

RE: nil.email

I found my problem pointed to model file 'article.rb' in the method

  def rss_author(xml)
    if link_to_author?
      xml.author("#{user.email} (#{user.name})")
    end
  end

Since we are showing the sidebar "Syndicate' module on a web page that
the 'user' is not logged in, I can see where we would end up with
nil.email

So, I decided to replace the original method in the model 'article.rb'
with this:

  def rss_author(xml)
      xml.author author
  end

Since this method is in a model, I bounced the server.

The RSS feed display is now rendering, however Internet Explorer is
complaining with:

'Internet Explorer was unable to update this feed and will try again
later.'

but Firefox seems to handle it quite nicely.

- Tim