[typo] Problems with upgrade

Anton J Aylward aja at si.on.ca
Mon Aug 11 14:51:07 EDT 2008

William Ross said the following on 11/08/08 02:29 PM:

> I've just been through a quick typo install procedure to see what the
> fuss is all about, and if I were you I would keep it but cut it back:
> create the directory tree and leave the application ready to run, but
> don't try and populate the database. Let them choose their own
> database and migrate it. Half the time the setup will fail on
> permissions anyway, and by being more conventional you'll be able to
> direct people to standard documentation rather than having to support
> them yourself.

Sounds good to me.
That should simplify upgrade as well :-(

Just one thing.  Standard and system documentation is fine for standard
and system stuff.  But you are going to have to make some specific stuff
well documented.  By that I mean things like dependencies.

I'm not going to bother trying to find out if the requirement for
sqlite1.2.2 rather than 1.2.1 is a real one or an artefact for the
packaging since my real problem is getting the UPGRADE running on
Dreamhost, and that was both the start of this thread and nothing to do
with drivers.

Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.
     Dwight D. Eisenhower