[typo] Problems with upgrade

William Ross will at spanner.org
Mon Aug 11 14:29:01 EDT 2008

On 11 Aug 2008, at 17:58, de Villamil Frédéric wrote:
> I've been recently thinking in 3 directions :
> – embedding all the dependencies in vendor/gem, but this will create
> issues with native gem extensions, like MySQL ones.
> – completely removing the Typo installer, only leaving sources, and
> a list of dependencies. Since gem install now completely fullfills
> them, I won't care at all about what happens.

I've just been through a quick typo install procedure to see what the
fuss is all about, and if I were you I would keep it but cut it back:
create the directory tree and leave the application ready to run, but
don't try and populate the database. Let them choose their own
database and migrate it. Half the time the setup will fail on
permissions anyway, and by being more conventional you'll be able to
direct people to standard documentation rather than having to support
them yourself.

If they want hassle-free installation without ever having to type
RAILS_ENV, you can rent it to them as a service :)

For me it would also make more sense to package less and require
more,  but I expect that's a matter of taste. There's an awful lot of
code in there to handle edge cases and tricky user scenarios and to
save people from having to set things up properly. I'd throw away the
lot and let them work it out.

I'll shut up now and walk the dog.