[typo] Problems with upgrade

de Villamil Frédéric frederic at de-villamil.com
Mon Aug 11 12:58:04 EDT 2008

Le 11 août 08 à 18:28, Anton J Aylward a écrit :

> Matijs van Zuijlen said the following on 11/08/08 11:27 AM:
>
>>> Is this set of dependencies (on the compiler etc) declared anywhere?
>> The precise set of dependencies will depend on the distribution used.
>> That said, some general hints might be a welcome addition to the
>> wiki.
>
> At the very least the set of Ruby dependencies could be made clear.
>
> I asked why I have to go though this - 'this' being installing
> compiled and "-devel" packages from my RPM - to run typo.  Part of
> the reason I asked this was because Typo 4.1.2 needs sqlite3-
> ruby-1.2.2 when I already had sqlite3-ruby-1.2.1 installed.  That is
> why it required the compiler etc.  All my other ruby applications
> were running fine with sqlite3-ruby-1.2.1, and the need to upgrade
> that was not documented and was not made clear in this thread.
>
> I'm still hoping for an explanation of this change and why its not
> an artefact of one of the developers choices in packaging rather
> than a functional necessity.

I think I've already explained this somewhere, either in the
CHANGELOG, or on Typo blog or even here, but I will do it once more.
Bis repetita semper placent as used to say my latin teacher.

When packaging an application like Typo – or let's say Wordpress – you
need to decide for which environement you do it. This happens in
particular when choosing the default database. By default, a clever,
or supposed to be so, project team will choose the most widespread and
common one, which happens to be MySQL, just like, let's say,
Wordpress, as it seems to be the reference here.

I don't know why sqlite3 was choosen as a default before, maybe
because it didn't need mysql server to be installed before having a
running Typo. But the truth is it was pretty stupid IMHO. Since it's
made of a single flat file, sqlite just locks the database for every
non reading process, which includes INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE.
Creating a session, since we're using ActeiveRecord session handler is
part of it, like commenting, or creating a post. In other words,
sqlite MUST NOT be used for a production web based multiple users – at
least visitors – application. Sqlite is perfect for creating index on
Mail.app or any other desktop since I'm the only one to access it, but
not on the internet.

The funniest part of the story is that, when sqlite was the default
dependency, people used to complain of the sqlite dependency when they
used MySQL / PgSQL.

I've been recently thinking in 3 directions :
– embedding all the dependencies in vendor/gem, but this will create
issues with native gem extensions, like MySQL ones.
– completely removing the Typo installer, only leaving sources, and a
list of dependencies. Since gem install now completely fullfills them,
I won't care at all about what happens.
– having typosphere.org redirecting to wordpress.com since it's what
people here want, mostly spending time crying and complaining, and
eventually thinking you can play the BOFH without knowing how to play
with UNIX.
– just starting something else, leaving the project dead, just like it
was when I took over it.

--
Frédéric de Villamil
http://fredericdevillamil.com             Typo : http://typosphere.org