[typo] strange handling of tags that use the '.' character

de Villamil Frédéric frederic at de-villamil.com
Wed Aug 6 15:57:41 EDT 2008

Le 6 août 08 à 19:23, Chris Dagdigian a écrit :

> Hi folks,
>
> I've been running http://gridengine.info off of Typo for a while
> now, thanks for a nice package!
>
> Because my site tracks a particular open source software product I
> sometimes need to put version numbers into article tags for easy
> characterizing.
>
> Prior to the most recent Typo upgrade, tags like "6.3" did not work
> at all, something about Rails or Typo can't handle the "." character.
>
> Now running the latest Typo I see something odd ...
>
> Tags that use multiple "." characters get remapped to "-":
>
> 6.2.0 becomes a tag called "6-2-0" on Typo
>
> But a tag named "6.2" is left unmodified, with no funky rewriting.
>
> As a test that proves the issue I added tags for "6.2.0" and "6.2"
> to the following post:
>
> http://gridengine.info/2008/08/06/t-shirt-contest
>
> ... the "6.2.0" tag is handled via changing "." to "-" but the "6.2"
> tag is left unchanged and does not work.
>
> Is the use of "." chars in tags an issue with Rails in general or
> should I write up an Issue against the Typo issue tracker?
>
> -Chris

Hello,

first, sorry for not replying faster, I was in holliday and got
internet access only tonight. Trying to answer the pile of mails
that's waiting for me.

This all comes from a basic thing I forgot to do before releasing.

I was quite pissed off with Typo not andling my cool web2.0 tag just
because it was actually looking for a web2.0 file, and not for a page
named web2.0. So I added the same behaviour as categories : replace
the '.' with a '-' which actually works. I just incidentaly forgot to
do a proper migration to change your '.' in '-' with the proper 301
redirects. I add this to the TODO for the 5.1.3 bugfix release which
may come as soon as I'm really back from holliday.

Cheers,
Frédéric

--
Frédéric de Villamil