[typo] Problems with upgrade

Anton J Aylward aja at si.on.ca
Tue Aug 5 08:03:20 EDT 2008

Matijs van Zuijlen said the following on 04/08/08 08:55 PM:
> Hi Anton,

Hi, and thanks.  No, realy, I'm grateful someone finally replied.  I was
getting frustrated.  (Still am actually!)

This was my 4th or fifth post about problems with this version of Typo.
I'd tried upgrading my site first - MISTAKE! - and have a number of
posts about that.  Perhaps you'd care to look back over them and comment
on that content as the experience was a bit different from this attempt
to install Typo on my laptop

> Anton Aylward wrote:
>> So, in an effort to compare the upgrade with a virgin install, I'm
>> trying to install typo on my laptop.
> What OS are you running on your laptop. I'm guessing Linux? Which
> distribution?

Mandriva 2008.0

>> I start with
>> $ sudo gem install typo
>> and I get
>> [...]
>> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
>> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
>> details.  You may need configuration options.
> What are those details in mkmf.log?

See later

>> Oh!
>> Well I do have /usr/lib/mysqlclient ...
>> # rpm -q -f /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so
>> libmysql15-5.0.45-8.2mdv2008.0
>> Now it happens that is sripped.  I don't know why.
> Ah, an rpm based distro. Probably you need to install the -dev package
> for libmysql as well.

I really don't like this.
Why should I have to install an application development package just to
install Typo?  Will I have to install a compiler and possibly YACC/LEX
as well.

Please guys, this is a bit of a heavy load.

So I load up gcc etc and it turns out that the error in the log file is

conftest.c: In function ‘t’:
conftest.c:3: error: ‘mysql_query’ undeclared (first use in this function)

Is this set of dependencies (on the compiler etc) declared anywhere?
Why do I have to go though this if I only want to use Typo with sqlite3

>> So I gave up o that and tried installing from the .tgz
>> I unpacked ok, and then
>> [...]
>> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- rails-installer (LoadError)
>>         from
>> /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
>>         from ./typo-5.1.2/bin/typo:4
>> Hmm.  So I try
>> [anton at laptop Ruby]$ find /usr/lib/ruby /home/anton \
>>                           -name 'rails-installer*' -print
>> which returns nothing.
> The typo gem requires 'rails-app-installer', I'm guessing you need to
> install that gem.

Is that dependency declared anywhere?

Oh, right, let me guess, if I'd installed with the GEM it would have
dragged that dependency in.

My "other" blog is Wordpress & I didn't have this problem upgrading that.

Originally preferred Typo to Wordpress, now I'm having my doubts.
I'm really disappointed in this "upgrade".  When I started using Typo
two years ago (26/08/06 08:54 PM) I had none of these problems, neither
on my laptop nor on Dreamhost (once they got Ruby 1.8.4 up).  It was the
slickness and ease of installation & configuration that impressed me
back them.

I just installed 'libmysql-devel' using urpmi, the normal and
recommended method, and 'gem install typo' still fails.

I seriously think you need to reconsider what it takes for an ordinary
non-development user to install Typo.

> Regards,
> Matijs.
You can either take action, or you can hang back and hope for a miracle.
Miracles are great, but they are so unpredictable.
    --Peter F. Drucker