[typo] Problems with upgrade

Matijs van Zuijlen matijs at matijs.net
Mon Aug 4 20:55:24 EDT 2008

Hi Anton,

Anton Aylward wrote:
> So, in an effort to compare the upgrade with a virgin install, I'm
> trying to install typo on my laptop.

What OS are you running on your laptop. I'm guessing Linux? Which
distribution?

> I start with
>
> $ sudo gem install typo
>
> and I get
>
> [...]
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.

What are those details in mkmf.log?

> Oh!
> Well I do have /usr/lib/mysqlclient ...
> # rpm -q -f /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so
> libmysql15-5.0.45-8.2mdv2008.0
> Now it happens that is sripped.  I don't know why.

Ah, an rpm based distro. Probably you need to install the -dev package
for libmysql as well.

> So I gave up o that and tried installing from the .tgz
> I unpacked ok, and then
>
> [...]
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- rails-installer (LoadError)
>         from
> /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
>         from ./typo-5.1.2/bin/typo:4
>

> Hmm.  So I try
>
> [anton at laptop Ruby]$ find /usr/lib/ruby /home/anton \
>                           -name 'rails-installer*' -print
>
> which returns nothing.

The typo gem requires 'rails-app-installer', I'm guessing you need to
install that gem.

Regards,
Matijs.