[typo] Problems with upgrade

Anton Aylward anton at si.on.ca
Mon Aug 4 15:24:43 EDT 2008

So, in an effort to compare the upgrade with a virgin install, I'm
trying to install typo on my laptop.

I start with

$ sudo gem install typo

and I get

Password:
ERROR:  Error installing typo:

/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install typo
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Oh!
Well I do have /usr/lib/mysqlclient ...
# rpm -q -f /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so
libmysql15-5.0.45-8.2mdv2008.0
Now it happens that is sripped.  I don't know why.

So I gave up o that and tried installing from the .tgz
I unpacked ok, and then

[anton at laptop Ruby]$ ./typo-5.1.2/bin/typo install \
                                            typo-5.1.2/db/emerge \
                                             database=sqlite3

/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require': no such file to load -- rails-installer (LoadError)
         from
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
         from ./typo-5.1.2/bin/typo:4

Hmm.  So I try

[anton at laptop Ruby]$ find /usr/lib/ruby /home/anton \
                           -name 'rails-installer*' -print

which returns nothing.

Yes, I did a 'sudo gem update' before this.

--
"I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught".
    -- Winston Churchill